Mom's Crazy Little Mix: Egg Scramble with Ham, Gouda, and Sauteed Veggies




Most mornings, I make breakfast for my family. Let's face it, I usually make lunch and dinner too! My mom is particularly a fan of eggs--scrambled, omelettes, fried, frittatas, etc.--so I typically make some sort of egg dish with our breakfast for her. I, on the other hand, have an egg intolerance. I'm not sure if it's mentally or physically rooted, but they make me feel sick to my stomach if I eat them. As a cook, that's a double bummer for me because they're such a versatile ingredient, and I don't get to enjoy the fruits of my "labor." Besides, cooking is not only about nourishing your body and having a creative outlet, but is also mostly about the love you put into it for the people you cook for (even if it's just for yourself). 



So anyway, there's this running joke in our family that when my mom cooks, she's very free with whatever ingredients she has, putting things together that you wouldn't normally expect to be in a dish. When I ask her what she made, she'll usually reply with "Uhh I don't know, it's a crazy little mix." And 9 times out of 10, it's fantastic! I have to say that I admire her for that, and am so thankful that she did that while we were growing up because it taught me to not be afraid of cooking. It taught me to be creative in the kitchen, and to just make things up and see if they taste good; try two things together that you wouldn't typically pair with each other and just go for it! Like dark chocolate and brie, for example (Which I've done...go try it now. It's delicious.). Those are two ingredients you wouldn't expect to taste good when combined, but let me tell you, the creamy and slightly salty brie with the strong and partially bitter dark chocolate is ridiculously delectable. So the trick to this recipe is to get a little unconventional. Change it around to your liking and add one ingredient you wouldn't normally use! Ok, here we go...



Start by melting 1T butter in a pan over med-high heat and adding 1/4 finely diced red onion. Grind a couple cracks of pepper in the pan. (TayTip: don't add salt to your onions when sauteing. This makes the water seep out of the onions and you won't get a good browning, but rather they will steam in their own liquid.)



Then grab two large handfuls--about 4 cups--of mesclun greens or baby spinach and add it to the pan. I know this seems like a lot, but they will wilt down to almost nothing, so you need a lot. 


It will look like this when finished...see all wilted!


Then add 4 cleaned and sliced button mushrooms. 



Next is 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes, and 2  chopped slices of Smithfield ham. The best ham comes from Virginia, and the best ham in Virginia is Smithfield. This is one of those no-skimp ingredients. Get the deli counter to slice it thick for this dish. 



Cook until the mushrooms have softened and the ham is browned in spots. Mmmm steamy!


The eggs are simple: crack three of them into a glass bowl with high sides. You'll need lots of protection when whisking. Add a splash of heavy whipping cream or half and half, this produces a nice fluffy scramble that won't separate. Pinch of salt and a few turns of the peppermill. 



Now go to town on 'em. Hold the bowl at a 45-degree angle with your non-dominant hand and whisk away from yourself for about a minute and a half until everything is incorporated and you have a little froth on the top.




Reduce the heat to medium and pour in the eggs. Cook 'em low and slow until they form little golden clouds. (TayTip: Never rush your scrambled eggs. Cooking them under lower heat and taking your time will produce a softer egg.)




It's right at this moment that I add my secret ingredient for this particular dish: a couple shakes of ground cinnamon. It's bitter, so a little goes a long way, but it really increases the smokiness of the dish, and gives a hint of spice.  




Top with shredded gouda and wait...patience is key here because that mild tangy cheese needs time to melt. 



See aren't you glad you waited? Top with a couple shakes of hot sauce if you like, and serve.  




Little, soft, blond egg pillows interwoven with perfectly cooked veggies, topped with a creamy melted cheese, and shaken up with a little spicy cinnamon. Protein, fiber, and it'll make your taste buds soar. What could be a better start to the day? Buon appetito! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers

Copyright Taylor Maria Schultes 2013. All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.